Friday, May 23, 2008

One week Down!

Wow! We've been here a week already. The 'gathering' (conference) has been great but jam packed and very exhausting both physically (for me) and emotionally for all. We have heard stories in detail about some of the atrocities that were committed during the genocide and as I sobbed my way through the accounts I could not understand just how one man could do such evil to another. There have been some amazing speakers including a Lakota Indian from the USA who has taught us heaps about reaching the indigenous people and we hope to be able to bring some of that back with us and perhaps use it to help our indigenous brothers and sisters. Tomorrow Rob goes off on the field trip which to my surprise goes until Sunday! The kids and I have to check out and move (probably to the Novotel) and then return on Sunday night for the debrief on Monday. THe field trip will involve visiting communities around Rwanda where both Hutus and Tutusis (perpetrators and victims) are living together in harmony. Something we believe can only be done with the help of Jesus. What some of these people have forgiven puts us to shame when i think of things we harbour against our brothers and sisters.

Okay, on a lighter note, we have met some amazing people. We have met with the two young men who operate an orphan centre called Rebero and they have begun so many programs to help the orphans and widows. They are determined not to receive handouts but to become self-sufficient and we are so impressed but not only what they've done but what their vision involves. We will be visiting there next weekend to see how it all works and perhaps how we can help. It will be good to get away from this hotel for a change of scenery. The kids have been great and not complained but even I am going stir crazy.

Well, the baby has started kicking now so that has been a real thrill. Rob and Kristi felt it first and its kind of 'neat' to think it started in Rwanda.

One of the other Aussies here has Malaria and is on the medication so we are praying for God's protection for me as I am not on anything. So far so good! thank you so much for your prayers. We have managed to stay healthy so far.

I don't know if I can stomach one more hot meal! Each day we have a hot breakky, hot lunch and hot dinner, however its always the same, there is no variety so its hard for the kids. Of course I remind them that their lucky to have food!!! Which is what Brandon reminded me of when I complained about our hard bed. "At least you have a bed mum!!!"

Well I'd better try and post this before I lose the connection AGAIN! Thank you again all sincerely for your prayers as they are truly carrying us.

Love and blessings
Kellie & Co

1 comment:

Vosflock said...

Deon picked up your blog address from work, and have been checking regularly for updates. Trusting God will allow a super special encounter (maybe something new on the menu - and more) for you Kelly and the kids whilst Rob gets enlightened this weekend. We know you are all being a blessing - keep casting the seeds of Gods goodness ... Love the Vos's.